Thursday, September 4, 2014

Reflection 3: Evaluation Focus

When I review the evaluation tool my district uses, it is difficult to focus on "one" area of improvement as I think that I need to be highly effective in every area! However, I did decide that I need to consider "Communicating with Stakeholders". The evaluation tool defines a highly effective teacher in this way:

     The teacher communicates frequently and sensitively with administration, colleagues, parents and students-and successfully engages them in the educational program; students are accountable for participating in communicating with families.

As an elective teacher for seniors, there has been a disconnect with parents and communications. I made changes to address this the last two years by creating student-led digital conferences. This increased my conference participation to 100%. But as I reflect on the start of the school year and the importance of building relationships, I have decided that I need to find the balance between student accountability or communication and my direct involvement. I will continue with student-led conferences, but have also began the school year with a form for parents/guardians to complete.  Titled "All About Your Student", I ask for information that goes beyond the typical information card to a parent perspective of their child as a learner. My hope is that if there are difficult conversations that must be had later in the year, I will already have established my desire to see the student success.

I also plan to follow up with parents, either with e-mails, notes or phone calls, thanking them for their participation in activities that are designed for the whole family.


No comments:

Post a Comment