Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Reflection 29: Changes

The teacher I was 13 years ago wouldn't recognize the teacher that I am today. In so many ways. The combination of experience, age, training through International Baccalaureate, and understanding of student learning has moved me from a teacher-center expert imparting knowledge to a guided explorer focusing on critical thinking and application. Focusing on outcomes provides students the opportunity to make personal connections, learn to question and apply critical knowledge and understanding. Most importantly, the teacher I am now focuses on the positive. More than greeting the students when they enter the library or kind words, the change involves how I evaluate student assignments. Digital tools allow me to identify what the student has done correctly as well as answers or aspects that are incorrect. To me this connects to the growth mindset, showing students that the brain, or intellect, continues to gain knowledge with use.

No comments:

Post a Comment