Sunday, September 21, 2014

Reflection 20: Curating Student Work

There are two ways that I curate student work. The first is Google Drive. I remember the filing cabinets in the English storeroom, filled with writing samples from a student's four year tenure. The idea was to present them with the file of their work as they graduated. Students rarely were interested and I can't recall a single incident where a student used the writing sample. Google Drive allows students access to a body of their work, not dependent upon teacher distribution or access to the school building. Google Drive offers the opportunity to build a K-12 portfolio and curate more than just the assigned research or essays. They have access to the research process, notes, warm-ups for classes and almost any type of assignment that can be imagined.

The second way I have begun to curate is student work is through Twitter. I love to feature student work and ideas and share out with the greater community. Last year I partnered with the art department, supplying books that had been deselected from the library collection to the art department as art supplies for book art creation. As students shared their pieces, I tweeted them out in celebration and shared the images on a Pinterest Board created for just that purposed. This year, I have created a library Twitter account to allow students to recommend and review reads. More than curating, this provides students with an authentic audience of their work.

No comments:

Post a Comment