Friday, September 5, 2014

Day 4: What I Love the Most

As soon as a question is phrased as "the most", it becomes more difficult. I suppose that is part of the reflective process, the narrowing of thought. So my thinking took a winding path. It begins with enjoying young adults. The teen developmental years can be frustrating to parents and educators, but it is also an amazing process. Part of being an educator is the ability to see a student over time, seeing the growth and development emerge. The 9th grade student who enters our door is not the same senior who walks the stage, receiving a diploma. And during that time of transition, I am witness to struggles, joy, ups, downs and the opportunity to see a focus begin to develop that will lead young adults into their future. Many people lament the "youth of today" (although, I've been hearing that one since I was a youth.....a long, long time ago!), but I for one am hopeful and excited. Their world will not be the world we would have wanted for them. It will be something better, because they are gaining confidence in the opportunity to push beyond the boundaries that were set to create something previous generations could not have imagined. The push back, the independence of spirit, all so frustrating to those trying to lead them, will serve them well as they forge a new path.

No comments:

Post a Comment