Sunday, September 21, 2014

Reflection 18: I Am A Warrior

My philosophy has not shifted much in the past 15 years. When asked to create a philosophy for my teaching portfolio as I completed my teacher preparation program, I came across the poem "I Am a Teacher" by John W. Schlatter. While the full text can be found on the Appleseeds website, I was drawn to the "Teacher as Warrior" stanza. At the time, I had just begun practicing yoga. The warrior pose was a pose of strength, aligning the body, centering thought in a way that brought an empowerment of body. The emphasis, to me, was that a Yoga warrior is physically prepared for battle, but follows a path of strength found not in physical ability but focus and strength of the connection between mind, body and spirit.

This also pushed me to create my first meme! So many benefits to this reflective challenge.


No comments:

Post a Comment